– The internal reaction to JBL’s commentary at Night of Champions was positive. The feeling was that he started off rough and had some mistakes but did very well. JBL spent some time backstage brushing up on characters and storylines.
As noted earlier, JBL will be working tonight’s RAW but at last word, that was all the confirmed dates he has with WWE but obviously that could change and some people in WWE expect it to.
– As covered last night, the cameras caught Randy Orton flipping off some fans during his match with Dolph Ziggler at Night of Champions. Several fan reports noted that during the match, Orton got into a pretty heated argument with some fans.
The argument continued after the match and both sides were said to be very animated. More than one fan reported that Orton told the fan that he would “kick his ass” after the show.
– John Cena revealed that he rolled his ankle early in the match against CM Punk at last night’s WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view. Cena commented and posted the following photo:
“Wild night tonight, nuthing to do now but move forward. This is my left ankle. It was rolled early in match… Thru all the bumps and bruises, a heartfelt thanks to all those supporting #riseabovecancer thank u.”
– WWE Champion CM Punk recently spoke with The Sun in the UK. Here are some highlightsfrom the interview that took place before Night of Champions:
Wrestling The Rock:
“Anybody that doesn’t want to wrestle The Rock is pretty foolish. He’s not around a lot, so to get an opportunity to wrestle him, it’s a slim chance. I might have a shot at him at the Royal Rumble if I get past John Cena, and that right now is my goal. The Rumble is a while away, but hopefully I stay the champ until then.”
Getting pissed off at The Rock’s return:
“Rock being back, I guess, puts a lot of eyes on our product. In that respect it’s a good thing. I have a lot of pride in what I do, and I’m proud of the WWE, and their superstars and divas that are on the road 365 days a year. It’s a very cold business, it’s a very ‘what have you done for me lately?’ business. When somebody walks in and gets afforded opportunities that people are in line for and people are busting their ass for, you’re damn right I’m going to get pissed off about it. It’s only logical; it isn’t sour grapes. It isn’t whining. It’s a fact. I said it, I was vocal about it. I said it to his face. That’s just the kind of guy I am. Listen, if I disappear for 5-8 years and I come back, I only hope there is someone as angry and as hungry, with a chip on their shoulder, just like me, to tell me the same thing: ‘Hey, I can do everything you’re doing, and I’m doing it every day.’ I don’t hate The Rock, I don’t hate Dwayne. There honestly aren’t any hard feelings, there’s nothing anything personal. It has motivated me to work harder and to prove everybody wrong. That’s what I do.”
His upcoming DVD:
“I definitely had the last say in what matches went on there. When I saw the story and how it edited together, I wanted to pick matches that accentuate that story. I watched it with a couple of friends of mine. It’s pretty bizarre; it’s like I’m at my own funeral. It’s all these people I love and respect on there talking about me and seeing my entire career on a WWE DVD. It’s surreal.”
– WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz spoke with WWE.com after retaining his title at Night of Champions. Miz announced earlier in the night that he would be filing a formal complaint against Booker T. Miz said he will no longer be filing the complaint because he defeated three main event Superstars blind-folded and he’s happy with that. Miz dubbed himself the must most-see Intercontinental Champion of all-time.
– PWInsider reports that there has been no talk within WWE of Jerry Lawler not returning to commentary but there has been talk of him never wrestling again. While doctors told Lawler that he could get in the ring if he wanted to, doctors are not advising it for his longterm health.
On a related note, they add that Vince McMahon told Lawler to do what he needs to do so he can get better and that his commentary job is safe. Vince was said to be shaken up and very concerned over the whole situation with Lawler’s health.
– Cody Rhodes’ girlfriend and former WWE Diva Brandi Reed took a shot at Sin Cara during last night’s Night of Champions pay-per-view. She tweeted:
“So…who exactly are the Sin Cara fans? I never see or hear them. I’m a fan of his blooper reel…oh that was a maaaatch #yikes”
– Several fans sent word that The Bella Twins were featured on the NFL Network Thursday night talking about Tim Tebow and the season. The Twins noted on Twitter that we will be seeing a lot more of them on the NFL Network.
– WWE’s cameras spoke with WWE referee Chad Patton after John Cena vs. CM Punk at Night of Champions ended in a controversial draw. Chad defended his call and said both of their shoulders were down. Patton also commented on Twitter:
“I felt I made the right call….. @WWE #NOC tonite both opponents shoulders were down and I counted 1 2 3! What are your thoughts?”
– As noted before, JBL will be doing commentary at tonight’s RAW. JBL is considered a “guest” announcer internally and the idea is that he is just back for a short time until Jerry Lawler is cleared to return to announcing. Obviously things could change.
– Tonight’s WWE RAW takes place from the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, Connecticut with the fallout from Night of Champions. No matches have been announced yet but we know JBL will be returning to RAW for commentary. WWE is advertising Big Show to appear tonight as he hasn’t appeared in a few weeks. CM Punk vs. John Cena in a steel cage match is advertised locally.
WWE is focusing on the following points for tonight’s show:
* How will Alberto Del Rio respond to his latest defeat?
* Will Zack Ryder make another pass at the United States Title?
* Is Cody Rhodes done pursuing his “baby” – the Intercontinental Title?
* Can Kane and Daniel Bryan maintain harmony long enough to defend the WWE Tag Team Titles?
* Fallout from the controversial John Cena vs. CM Punk finish at Night of Champions.
– Former WWE talent Bill “The Goon” Irwin turns 58 years old today while former NWO member Masahiro Chono turns 49, Jim Cornette turns 51 and Gabe Sapolsky turns 40.
– WWE’s cameras caught up with JBL before Night of Champions hit the air last night. JBL put over Jerry Lawler and said he was proud to keep Lawler’s seat warm until he returns.
– “Goldust” Dustin Rhodes says WWE keeps taking fan signs for a potential Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes match that he has been campaigning for on Twitter. He tweeted last night during Night of Champions:
“Wwe keeps taking the @CodyRhodesWWE vs @DUSTIN_RHODES1 signs! Hmmmmm ! Just book it! Trend it! #CodyVsGoldustWM29″
– WWE United States Champion Antonio Cesaro is now scheduled to feud with Brodus Clay.
– As noted before, WWE is partnering with the Susan G. Komen Foundation to fight breast cancer. The pink gear that John Cena debuted at Night of Champions will be worn through October in honor of breast cancer awareness month. WWE will donate 100% from the profits (at least 30% of the retail purchase price) to Susan G. Komen.
WWE will be promoting the cause on TV, at live events and on their social media pages. WWE is also encouraging fans to sign up for the “Race for the Cure” events as part of Team WWE. Fans can team with their favorite WWE Star to help the cause. More information is at komen.org/wwe.
The pink John Cena merchandise will run from last night at Night of Champions through October 31st. The t-shirts are currently the most popular new item on WWE’s shop website.
Also as noted at Night of Champions, the middle rope on WWE’s rings will be pink to support the fight against breast cancer.
– Former WWE Divas Champion Layla wrote on Twitter how she was embarrassed to let her fans down by losing at Night of Champions. New Divas Champion Eve Torres commented after winning the title:
“My company needed me and I stepped up to the opportunity. Now, I am your new Diva’sChampion!.. I guess everything happens for a reason.”
On a related note, Kaitlyn commented about being attacked backstage and losing her title shot:
“I still can’t believe what happened tonight. Things just worked out a little too perfectly for @EveMarieTorres”
– In case you missed it at Night of Champions last night, SmackDown General Manager Booker T has re-instated the Brogue Kick. World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus used it to retain the title against Alberto Del Rio.
– John Cena received a standing ovation from the Boston crowd after WWE’s Night ofChampions pay-per-view went off the air. Cena saluted the fans before heading to the back.
– Darren Young and Titus O’Neil say they have a plan for new WWE Tag Team ChampionsKane and Daniel Bryan. They commented on Twitter:
Darren Young: “New @WWE tag champs? #PTP has a plan & when it comes 2gether Daniel&Kane can finally check themselves into a mental institute! #MOD #NDO”
Titus O’Neil: “Well AJ Lee Ur 2Ex Boyfriends Won the Titles at #NOC Hope Ur happy they won,but Don’t think that the #PrimeTimePlayers are done!#WeHaveAPlan”
– Some of the WWE terms trending worldwide on Twitter during Night of Champions were Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler, Eve Torres, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kane, Daniel Bryan, JBL, Rey Mysterio, Brodus Clay and Ted DiBiase, among others.
– Jim Ross was in Boston at WWE’s Night of Champions pay-per-view but was there for non-announcing related duties.