After RAW went off the air, WWE Champion CM Punk defended the title against John Cena in a steel cage match. Punk immediately tried to climb out of the cage. The match was back and forth until Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler hit the ring. Sheamus and Randy Orton were out next, and the bell sounded. It was announced that Punk won the match via disqualification.
Ziggler then got hit with an RKO, a Brogue kick and an Attitude Adjustment to end the show.
– JBL commented on working with Jim Ross for the first time on commentary.
“Great time tonight back on @wwe raw! Enjoyed @JRsBBQ and finally working with him! Even @MichaelCole , well not so much cole! #getwelljerry”
– WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler was released from the hospital in Montreal and is home in Memphis. Michael Cole announced that there will be an exclusive interview with Lawler on next Monday’s Raw.
The official WWE website has released video of Lawler’s return home.
– Before Raw went on the air Monday, a match featuring Drew McIntyre versus Jinder Mahal was taped for this week’s episode of WWE Superstars.
A match featuring Ted DiBiase vs. JTG also took place but it is unclear whether it will air onSuperstars.
– WWE Hall of Famer Jesse Ventura appeared on tonight’s edition of Piers Morgan Tonight on CNN for an interview. The program replays at midnight and 3:00 a.m.
– WWE’s shop website is now selling the “Long Live The King” shirt for Jerry Lawler that Michael Cole wore on last night’s RAW. They are also selling new Superstar Lifetile necklaces and the 2013 WWE wall calendar with CM Punk, John Cena and Randy Orton on the cover.
– In an update from last night’s RAW, the fan who was accidentally thrown the live microphone by Ryback was not ejected by security. As noted before, Ryback threw the mic into the crowd when he was tearing up MizTV. The fan grabbed the mic and began yelling “Goldberg!” before WWE’s ring crew chased him down and took it back.
– John Cena vs. CM Punk for the WWE Title is scheduled to main event next month’s Hell in a Cell pay-per-view.
– Word is that Vince McMahon recently made the call to take Ryback’s character to the nextlevel. By what happened on RAW last night, it looks like he may be headed for a feud with Intercontinental Champion The Miz.
Wade Barrett wrote the following to fans on Twitter about the use of his elbow finisher:
“My elbow could knock out a horse. #BarrettBarrage To any internet gimps angry with me forknocking people out with an elbow: You can all kiss my English backside.”
– WWE.com cameras caught CM Punk arguing with AJ Lee and the referee after last night’s RAW main event ended in controversy. WWE has not identified that referee but we know he is Brad Maddox from developmental. The cameras saw Punk asking the referee his name for when he files a formal complaint. Punk kept yelling at the referee while Heyman tried to get him to back off. AJ Lee finally interrupted him and defended the referee’s actions.
– WWE officials have been talking about bringing Maria Menounos back for a storyline and match. Talk is that she may be brought back later this year or in early 2013 closer to WrestleMania 29.
– Word coming out of Night of Champions was that Paul Heyman came up with the idea to have CM Punk wear New York Yankees pinstriped ring gear.
– New WWE Divas Champion Eve Torres has a ton of supporters and fans within WWE. This and her winning NBC’s Stars Earn Stripes are why she won the title at Night of Champions.
– WWE reportedly took away anti-John Cena signs before the main event at Sunday’s Night of Champions pay-per-view in Boston.
– The September 14th episode of WWE SmackDown scored a 1.96 cable rating with 2.69 million viewers.
– The referee who “screwed” CM Punk in the main event of last night’s RAW was Brad Maddox. Maddox has been refereeing in WWE developmental and on WWE TV a lot more lately. Maddox is a former FCW 15 Champion and a two-time FCW Tag Team Champion.
– Sources close to Randy Orton note that he desperately wants to go heel and that may be happening before the year is over. The plan has been for Orton to turn once Sheamus was popular enough to carry SmackDown on his own.
The main event of last night’s RAW was supposed to determine who gets a Night of Champions rematch – John Cena or Alberto Del Rio. The match ended in controversy so now WWE is hyping that AJ Lee and Booker T will have to decide which Superstar will get a title shot in the near future.
– Tonight’s WWE SmackDown tapings will take place from the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Local ads are promoting Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Randy Orton. Local ads also tease that Dolph Ziggler may cash in tonight.
– WWE has announced that “Mindfreak” Criss Angel will be the RAW Social Media Ambassador next week. Angel will be tweeting live during the show. Angel served as a RAW guest host back in March 2010.